Historically, brocades and damasks were solely worn by the wealthy or the royal. Much later, the lush fabrics — along with their cousins, textured tapestries — were relegated to your grandmother's living room sofa. But fashion being fashion, what is old is chic again, and the woven fabrics have been popping up everywhere lately, at every price. And it's not just about gilded swirling paisleys anymore. Geometric brocades (Kenzo's snazzy boot), metallic flourescent-florals (J.Crew, naturally), and tailored shapes (hello, Mango!) modernize the material. Click ahead to see 25 ways to weave some richness into your wardrobe.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve