Historically, brocades and damasks were solely worn by the wealthy or the royal. Much later, the lush fabrics — along with their cousins, textured tapestries — were relegated to your grandmother's living room sofa. But fashion being fashion, what is old is chic again, and the woven fabrics have been popping up everywhere lately, at every price. And it's not just about gilded swirling paisleys anymore. Geometric brocades (Kenzo's snazzy boot), metallic flourescent-florals (J.Crew, naturally), and tailored shapes (hello, Mango!) modernize the material. Click ahead to see 25 ways to weave some richness into your wardrobe.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb