Always stately and poised, Meryl Streep knows how to command a room. Her outfits serve to supplement her bearing, but never overwhelm it. During her early career, she erred towards softer silhouettes with lots of draping and the occasional sparkle (also of note: that polka-dot dress at the 1980 Oscars!). Now she sticks with deep necklines that flatter her swanlike neck, often choosing nipped waists, solid colors, and the occasional structured jacket. Enjoy this look back at her wardrobe from the seventies to the present.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?
- Amanda Bynes Enrolled in Fashion-Design School
- Pregnancy Rates Falling in America
- In the Future, We Will All Dress Like Hipsters
- Uptalk Is for Everyone, at Least in California
- 10 Self-Centered Non-Gifts We Want for Christmas
- Viagra Might Be the New Midol