Rock-and-roll-inspired leather shorts paired with a slinky tank top is a perennial model-off-duty street-style staple, even in the hottest months of the year. But summer leather shouldn't just be limited to shorts. On a warm morning last week, I noticed a girl heading toward the subway in Williamsburg clad in a cream sleeveless blouse, an oxblood leather pencil skirt, and high-heel sandals. It was a simple but inspired outfit that looked cool but also polished enough for a day in the office. While leather might seem unappealing in August temperatures, on some cooler days, adding shorts or a top into the mix is a welcome reprieve from lightweight summer clothes. Take a cue from my inspiration girl and style a leather skirt like Zara's quilted version with a simple silk or cotton top, or embrace a curve-hugging dress like A.L.C.'s two-tone sheath. And come fall, just add tights and a cardigan to maximize wear. Click to see all 24 options that can be worn now and into next season.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve