An elderly pensioner, 76, and her grocery store employee daughter, 38, were found dead from multiple stabbing wounds in their apartment in Kazan, Russia, under the message, "Free Pussy Riot," evidently written in blood on the wallpaper, reports (warning: gruesome photo) The Moscow Times. It seems extremely unlikely that the murders are related to the feminist punk group's protest, politically convenient though that might be. A state-run news website, Vesti.ru, reportedly ran the story under the headline "People Have Begun to Kill for Pussy Riot." According to RT.com, Nikolay Polozov, the defense attorney for three band members who were sentenced to two years in prison earlier this month, called the murders "an abominable and dirty provocation." Commenters are alternately blaming the U.S. and Russian governments for the murders and the message.
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve