Known for her smokey-eye makeup, mussy brown hair, and perpetual tan, Carine Roitfeld exudes that sexy, slightly undone attitude that French women are celebrated for. As the editor of French Vogue from 2001 to 2011, she developed a trademark look of pencil skirts, sharp stilettos, and silky collared shirts (usually made by Equipment, the brand founded by her longtime partner Christian Restoin) unbuttoned to show a glimpse of her lacy black bra. She's also a fan of luxurious furs, black leather, and the occasional sheer red-carpet gown, but almost never wears color. Enjoy our look back at her wardrobe choices through the years.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve