Nineties supermodel Carolyn Murphy came out of semi-retirement yesterday to open Jason Wu's spring 2013 show, which featured a far sexier range of pieces (lots of sheer black lace, leather bra tops, and harnesses) than he's ever done before. "I wanted to introduce the element of sex and provocation that you see in Helmut Newton photography," he told us backstage. "The element of sex has become very important to me, and I think it goes to show the grown-up version of the Jason Wu woman." As a favorite model of Newton's, Murphy was an obvious choice, but it took some doing to coax her onto the runway. "I was so nervous!" she said. "I was even trying to get out of it yesterday at my fitting." Karlie Kloss also appeared for the first time this season, modeling a black gown with clouds of tulle. Watch our backstage interviews with Wu and Murphy in the video.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
- See: Flash Mob Ballet at Van Cleef & Arpels
- Adam Levine Brings You Sexiest Health-Care Alive
- How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!