Coyly featured in the background of many of her post-car-crash paparazzi photo sets, Lindsay Lohan's latest BFF/maybe-BF is Spanish artist Domingo Zapata. (He's no pirate, but he'll do for now.) When Lindsay tweeted that she loved his paintings, Zapata returned the favor by noting he loves everything she's ever done — even I Know Who Killed Me. That's a sign of true friendship, a friendship that seems to date to February of this year, when Zapata took some Polaroids of Lindsay, then doodled some pseudo-Biblical quotes on them and sold the resulting collage to some crazy British collector for $100,000.
When he's not hanging with Linds and his kids, Zapata apparently splits his time between studios in New York, Los Angeles, and Paris; Wikipedia explains his work as reflecting "themes of sexuality, opulence, and joie de vivre explored through the representation of horses, actresses, circus performers, bullfights, and flamenco dancers," which sounds nice. Here are lots of other interesting things you should know about him, in no particular order:
• He pronounces his last name with a soft z so it sounds like a lispy "Ssschapata." Very Mediterranean.
• He enjoyed Magic Mike.
• His close friends include Real Housewives of Miami stars Lea Black and Karent Sierra. (Ramona Singer also tweeted him once back in 2011, but she might just have been on a Pinot binge.) He bought the Porsche Lindsay allegedly crashed from Sierra, who may actually be liable for damages because she'd not yet filed the car's change in registration forms at the time of the kerfuffle.
• He practices bull fighting.
• George Soros bought one of his polo-themed paintings in 2005. Johnny Depp once bought a painting, too.
• Tara Reid attended an exhibition of his work at Mr. C in Beverly Hills this February — around the time he's believed to have first met Lindsay. "Life is good," she told reporters, then wandered off aimlessly and probably fell into some shrubbery.
• He has children and is comfortable letting Lindsay carry them.
• Sometimes he wears dungarees.
• He co-wrote a Spanish-language song for Michael Jackson, who "wanted to do something for his Spanish speaking audience whom he loved very much." But then Michael died.
• He wrote some lyrics for a 2009 version of Los Del Rio's classic "Macarena." Please imagine him and Lindsay doing the dance together.
• Following the success of his Polaroid piece featuring Lindsay, he made a similar work about Kim Kardashian. Instead of the Bible, hers quoted Maya Angelou.
• He once painted Sofia Vergara at a party. Literally, he used her as a canvas.
• Someone recently vandalized one of Zapata's paintings at the Dream Downtown Hotel, the very location where Lindsay maybe-crashed his car. Start a countdown until Lindsay puts the pieces of this malevolent jigsaw together and finds the true culprit — who may or may not be Amanda Bynes.
Most Viewed Stories
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesAva DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.UVA Student Assaulted at Knifepoint During Orientation Weekend
But some students weren't notified until 24 hours later.