The long line of cool kids in funky prints and precisely styled geometric haircuts standing outside the New Museum on Monday night were our first tip-off that Nordic design attracts a well-dressed crowd. The evening's big draw was "Northern Exposure," a presentation of six Nordic fashion talents organized by Capsule, the Lower East Side retailer International Playground, and the Consulates General of Finland and Sweden. Each of the designers sent out four strong looks from their spring-summer collections, and the results were impressive. Inspirations ranged from the recent expedition to Mars to eighties-era Debbie Harry and each look was punctuated with smart accessories (Altewai.Saome’s Neo-Trekkie shades and R/H's denim carryall stood out). Click to see our favorites from these labels and learn about their design inspirations.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
- See: Flash Mob Ballet at Van Cleef & Arpels
- Adam Levine Brings You Sexiest Health-Care Alive
- How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!
- Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times