Now that we're all familiar with fall's major trends — the nineties, fur, baroque, black — we'd like to give a shout-out to a less-discussed (but no less in-your-face) trend: novelty sweaters. Whether they feature bedazzled graphics, camo prints, witty phrases or a trompe l'oeil scarf, they're a throwback to the eighties, when logos, Benetton, and the Fresh Prince reigned supreme. Nostalgic as well as fashionable, Marc by Marc Jacobs's colorful zig-zag pattern evokes your grandmother’s handknit afghan. Markus Lupfer's thought-bubble sweater reminds us of Garfield's sarcastic quips. Versus puts its signature lion logo — très Trump! très chic! — front and center. And Marni and Kenzo have you covered, Cliff Huxtable style. These sweaters do more than keep you warm, they make one of the season's more optimistic statements. Click ahead to see 35 of fall's best novelty knits.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament