From what we saw on the boardwalk during the last summer weekend at Rockaway Beach, surf culture might be as cool as it was during the days of Tom Wolfe's Pump House Gang — just with more diversity and tattoos. The season ended in a blaze of pastel nails, smudged eyeliner, and My Little Pony dye jobs. Saturday and Sunday's high temps brought out the last of the string bikinis, breezy printed cotton dresses, and shorts (cutoff denim shorties for women, longer preppy brights for men), while Monday's more overcast skies called for skinny jeans, long-sleeved denim work shirts, and, in one male model's case, a chunky sunflower-patterned pullover — a nice way of keeping a little bit of August alive. Enjoy the parting shots of the season.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb