From what we saw on the boardwalk during the last summer weekend at Rockaway Beach, surf culture might be as cool as it was during the days of Tom Wolfe's Pump House Gang — just with more diversity and tattoos. The season ended in a blaze of pastel nails, smudged eyeliner, and My Little Pony dye jobs. Saturday and Sunday's high temps brought out the last of the string bikinis, breezy printed cotton dresses, and shorts (cutoff denim shorties for women, longer preppy brights for men), while Monday's more overcast skies called for skinny jeans, long-sleeved denim work shirts, and, in one male model's case, a chunky sunflower-patterned pullover — a nice way of keeping a little bit of August alive. Enjoy the parting shots of the season.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Favorite Shampoo Commercial
- Kate Winslet Just Had a Baby Boy
- Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Taylor Swift Uses Her Phone to Put on Makeup
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 15 Days to Go!
- The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- New York Winter Weddings Issue Is Live!
- Wish List: 3.1 Phillip Lim’s Quinn Loafer
- Daniel Radcliffe Has a Greasy New Bob
- Qantas Staff Doesn’t Want to Look Like Kerr
- Pre-Fall’s Best: Jason Wu, Rag & Bone, and More
- Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Rodarte Sent Rihanna Boob Tassels for Christmas
- Should Women in Their Forties Model Underwear?
- 7 Things Lady Gaga’s Dreads Actually Look Like