Introduced in 1992, Thierry Mugler's first scent, Angel, was a game-lchanger in the fragrance world. The bold, brash bottle (it was blue! and star-shaped!) looked like nothing else in the department stores. And the scent itself was unapologetically sweet and rich, with notes of vanilla and chocolate. (It's considered to be the first "oriental gourmand" fragrance.) The ad campaigns, initially photographed by Mugler himself, were also iconic in their own right. The house's creative director, Christophe de Lataillade, oversaw all the campaigns, including the 1992 ad starring Estelle Lefébure hanging off the edge of a Manhattan skyscraper and the 2008 ad starring a secretly pregnant Naomi Watts. De Lataillade (who translated French romance novels before he was hired as Mugler's assistant 25 years ago) is still with the brand, and this year, they're celebrating the scent's twentieth anniversary. Click through the slideshow to see some of the most iconic images and hear de Latilade's behind-the-scenes stories.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve