Proenza Schouler turns ten years old this year, but it seems like only yesterday that designers Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough first shared a joint in the "lesbian room" at a club fourteen years ago, as they recall in this video for W magazine's October feature. The pair wound up in all the same sections at Parsons that year and subsequently did a lot of "homework" together (wink, nudge). As the story goes, their dean Tim Gunn ("just a normal dude" in those days) allowed them to collaborate on a fall collection for their senior thesis; Julie Gilhart then ordered it for Barneys, and their star was born. Moral of the story: pot + gay clubs = legends, or at the very least good interview fodder for when you become famous.
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament