Proenza Schouler turns ten years old this year, but it seems like only yesterday that designers Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough first shared a joint in the "lesbian room" at a club fourteen years ago, as they recall in this video for W magazine's October feature. The pair wound up in all the same sections at Parsons that year and subsequently did a lot of "homework" together (wink, nudge). As the story goes, their dean Tim Gunn ("just a normal dude" in those days) allowed them to collaborate on a fall collection for their senior thesis; Julie Gilhart then ordered it for Barneys, and their star was born. Moral of the story: pot + gay clubs = legends, or at the very least good interview fodder for when you become famous.
Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Favorite Shampoo Commercial
- Kate Winslet Just Had a Baby Boy
- Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Taylor Swift Uses Her Phone to Put on Makeup
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 15 Days to Go!
- The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- New York Winter Weddings Issue Is Live!
- Wish List: 3.1 Phillip Lim’s Quinn Loafer
- Daniel Radcliffe Has a Greasy New Bob
- Qantas Staff Doesn’t Want to Look Like Kerr
- Pre-Fall’s Best: Jason Wu, Rag & Bone, and More
- Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Rodarte Sent Rihanna Boob Tassels for Christmas
- Should Women in Their Forties Model Underwear?
- 7 Things Lady Gaga’s Dreads Actually Look Like