While taking cues from the boys is an effortless way to get dressed this fall, it's often more fun to embrace all things girly. A ladylike sheath is one option, but should that prove too fussy, a pretty patterned blouse is a versatile closet staple that adds a sweet touch to any ensemble. When tucked into a pencil skirt, it's full-on feminine. While paired with slouchy jeans or under a sharply cut suit, it suddenly has that ideal boy-meets girl balance. Florals — like Girl. by Band of Outsider's delicate pink buds or Thakoon Addition's red blossoms — are a more traditional take on the classic women's work shirt. But if abstract designs catch your eye, Reiss's hazy green print or rag & bone's arrowlike pattern are a more art-school take on wearing the trend. Even Equipment, a French brand that made the solid silk button-up feel fresh again, now offers an array of patterns, including a particularly eye-catching navy version flecked with glittery gold roses. Click ahead to see these and more, because lusting after pretty new shirts beats sitting at home waiting for some hurricane.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve