Just because you're stashing a pair of over-the-top heels at your cubicle doesn't mean you can't look polished en route. You're not Melanie Griffith in Working Girl, so there's no reason for white Reeboks and tube socks on the subway. Instead, opt for non-athletic shoes that slip on and off easily under your desk. Ballet flats, like Madewell's leopard-print version or Repetto's navy patent leather pair, add a feminine touch to cropped trousers; Jil Sander's masculine metallic loafers and Phillip Lim's pointy black slides are a smart counterpoint to skirts. Once the weather starts cooling down, sub in flat, zippered boots or a low chunky heel to keep feet warm on morning travels. For these, and other sensible-yet-stylish options this fall, click ahead.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!
- Kimye Plans Super-Subtle Wedding at Versailles
- Liv Tyler Reminds Us to Say Please and Thank You
- Used Princess Di Clothes Sell for $140,000