Just because you're stashing a pair of over-the-top heels at your cubicle doesn't mean you can't look polished en route. You're not Melanie Griffith in Working Girl, so there's no reason for white Reeboks and tube socks on the subway. Instead, opt for non-athletic shoes that slip on and off easily under your desk. Ballet flats, like Madewell's leopard-print version or Repetto's navy patent leather pair, add a feminine touch to cropped trousers; Jil Sander's masculine metallic loafers and Phillip Lim's pointy black slides are a smart counterpoint to skirts. Once the weather starts cooling down, sub in flat, zippered boots or a low chunky heel to keep feet warm on morning travels. For these, and other sensible-yet-stylish options this fall, click ahead.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?