It takes just one look at Heidi Klum come late October to remember that the stylish and famous take Halloween very seriously. But it's Simon Doonan, the creative ambassador at Barneys New York, who has been playing that game since long before people knew of him. He doesn't throw his own party — and, in fact, he's not even dressing up this year — it's a somewhat quieter sort of costume confidence. So he decided to prove his mettle by sending photos to the Cut of his best costumes starting from back in the late seventies. From Wayne Newton on the weekend to a look that resembled Amy Winehouse before she was even born, click ahead for his highlights, plenty of drag, and some ideas you can steal for your own costume.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve