It takes just one look at Heidi Klum come late October to remember that the stylish and famous take Halloween very seriously. But it's Simon Doonan, the creative ambassador at Barneys New York, who has been playing that game since long before people knew of him. He doesn't throw his own party — and, in fact, he's not even dressing up this year — it's a somewhat quieter sort of costume confidence. So he decided to prove his mettle by sending photos to the Cut of his best costumes starting from back in the late seventies. From Wayne Newton on the weekend to a look that resembled Amy Winehouse before she was even born, click ahead for his highlights, plenty of drag, and some ideas you can steal for your own costume.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament