This month brings us the campy-at-best biopic Liz & Dick, starring Lindsay Lohan as Liz Taylor and Grant Bowler as Richard Burton, on Lifetime. The movie centers on the passionate love affairs and Hollywood careers that often brought Taylor and Burton together in ten different movies, including Cleopatra, The Taming of the Shrew, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? — which earned Taylor a second (and final) Academy Award for Best Actress in 1966. Taylor famously married eight times, but it was Burton who got two of those tries. So it makes sense that their romance was as epic and diamond-drenched as anything Hollywood writers could have written themselves. After looking through these photos, we're convinced Burton must have truly loved Taylor. He lived with her through crazy diets, sixties kaftans, go-go boots, and turbans. In the later years, he pushed her in a wheelchair through an airport; of course, she was swaddled in mink. To see that — and their happier, fur-free moments — click through our slideshow of the glamourous couple.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Geena Davis’s Two-Step Cure for Hollywood Sexism
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Jane Larkworthy
The Heroic Commutes of Abortion Providers
- Geena Davis’s Two-Step Cure for Hollywood Sexism
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Jane Larkworthy
- Zoe Saldana Was Ruffled Up at the amFAR Gala
- The Heroic Commutes of Abortion Providers
- Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies