There are all sorts of reasons that shoes turn ugly. And all sorts of reasons we turn to ugly shoes. Feet, themselves, are an anatomical oddity, and ugly shoes either sacrifice aesthetics for podiatric practicality, or ignore function for the sake of fetish and fashion fantasy. With either, it can quickly go too far: Sometimes a shoe is too avant-garde for its own good, with some of the best footwear designers (ahem, Miuccia Prada) putting pairs down the runway that you won’t be blowing your paycheck on. In other cases, comfort comes at the expense of fashion, and the results — UGGs, Birkentstocks, Doc Martens — end up homely. Still, fashion is fickle; one day, any of these styles on our list may be cool again, or at least ironically embraced. For now, they prove that there are far more ugly pairs in the world than pretty ones. And because we all own some ourselves, tell us what’s missing in the comments section.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives