From Jane Birkin's Hermès bag to Jackie O's bamboo-handled Gucci purse to Carrie Bradshaw's Fendi baguette, there is no science for how a bag achieves iconic, decade-defining status. Being worn by the right woman at the right time certainly helps, but it's no golden ticket. Being worn by every right women over the last ten years is even better. And if you can sustain the Kardashian swell, you're golden. Nicolas Ghesquière, who left Balenciaga today, famously explained that he designed his first multicolor leather purses just so his models would have something to hold as they walked the runway in 2001. But as the legend goes, Kate Moss couldn't get enough of them, and the rest is handbag history. As impressive as his runway and ready-to-wear remains, it will be these soft, thin, hardware-heavy bags that most people associate with his career at Balenciaga. Perhaps because a dizzying number of starlets, "It" girls, and C-listers carried his bags at some point. From Rumer Willis to Salma Hayek to Nicky Hilton in her early-aughts heyday, click to see a decade of celebrity product placement (or legitimate handbag shopping?) in our slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb