You can't exactly go out and buy someone a tub of Carmex or a Duane Reade mascara and expect her to be pleased this holiday season. But the right beauty gift — one that's decadent, luxurious, and splurge-y to the point that you might not drop cash on it for yourself — has the opposite effect: It makes you feel special, and beautiful, like you're now in possession of a cosmetic that will instantly improve your life (and complexion, too). Whether it's Tom Ford's chest of lustrous nail polishes, a hand balm that will make your colleagues jealous, the creamiest red lipstick out there, or even an entirely new mascara wardrobe, these are the items that will be publicly flaunted and privately loved. This year, the Cut has gathered twenty of them, photographed for your own gift-giving purposes in the slideshow below.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
The Best of Pre-Fall 2014, Continued
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Joe Zee
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!
- Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
- Tell Me Everything You Know About Wool
- FDA Rejects Female Viagra
- Oprah Says Her Kids Would Probably Hate Her
- The Best of Pre-Fall 2014, Continued
- Best Bet: Rebecca Minkoff Coin Pouch
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Joe Zee
- Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- Rooney Mara, the Goth Ice Queen
- Male Gaze: Feast Your Eyes on Frank Sinatra
- Office Stress Is Contagious
- Kim Kardashian’s ‘Jubilant,’ Post-Baby Reveal
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 14 Days to Go!
- Paltrow, Anderson Diet Show Gets ‘Major Network’