With the opening of the Anna Karenina and Keira Knightley's grand return to period costume, we are reminded why women used to squeeze themselves into lethally restrictive undergarments. Sure, corsets are basically the antithesis to all things feminist and sensible, not to mention the whole rib-cracking, lung-restricting, fainting thing. But the buoyant butt-boobs! That romantic, brocade-draped silhouette, perfect for palace intrigue! From Gone With the Wind to Amadeus to Titantic, take a look at 25 period dramas with costumes so sumptuous and visuals so dazzling that we'd almost subject ourselves with corsets to live in their worlds. Almost.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?