With the opening of the Anna Karenina and Keira Knightley's grand return to period costume, we are reminded why women used to squeeze themselves into lethally restrictive undergarments. Sure, corsets are basically the antithesis to all things feminist and sensible, not to mention the whole rib-cracking, lung-restricting, fainting thing. But the buoyant butt-boobs! That romantic, brocade-draped silhouette, perfect for palace intrigue! From Gone With the Wind to Amadeus to Titantic, take a look at 25 period dramas with costumes so sumptuous and visuals so dazzling that we'd almost subject ourselves with corsets to live in their worlds. Almost.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- Best of the Week’s Style Blogs: Cozy Sweaters
- Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
- Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
- Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 6 Days to Go!
- Scientist Invents ‘Healthy’ Chocolate
- Sexting With a Tinder Spam-Bot, Things Get Weird
- Barneys Is Going to Reopen a Chelsea Location
- Justin Bieber Was Going for a Frank Sinatra Look
- Fabulously Festive: Jonathan Adler Handbags
- Meet Wayne Goss, YouTube's Male Makeup Star
- Heidi Klum Has Five Christmas Trees Too Many
- My Real-Life Her: Who Needs a Body to Have Sex?
- Versace Is Probably Going to Get Even Sexier
- Hot Men in Warm Sweaters