Grace Coddington has been making the rounds to promote her new memoir, Grace, which comes out tomorrow. While the book is dishy, with detailed accounts of Coddington's various boyfriends and the nude photo shoots she did as a young model, it's not so gossipy as to include anything really juicy on you know who. And don't think Coddington will be suckered into saying anything during interviews, either. "They gave me media training," she explained to the Times, adding, "I was a total failure." (Rule No. 1 when it comes to interviews: be funny and self-deprecating, and make it seem like you'll say anything, even though you won't.) Based on the two profiles that ran this weekend in the Times and the Telegraph, respectively, here's what else we can assume she gathered from those training sessions:
1. Swearing is generally against the rules, but when you're an elegant 71-year-old lady, it's totally endearing. "They were like, 'Oh, can’t say that, oh, you can’t say that, and it’s not politically correct to say that, and don’t swear.' But I swear like a trooper."
2. Say nice things about Anna Wintour, and then worry she'll get mad anyway. Coddington tells the Telegraph about sending Wintour a copy of the manuscript:
Oh my God, I was nervous, of course I was. Because she and I are very entwined - and I was nervous that I had said too much about her, from her point of view. But I was also nervous that she would think it wasn't well written or not well laid out. But she wrote me a really long letter saying she loved it and that was a big relief. She trusts me. I don't have anything horrible to say about her anyway, and I know everyone out there is probably hoping I get really nasty about her. A) I wouldn't, and B) I don't have anything bad to say. She's my boss and you have to respect that she makes the magazine what it is, and we all contribute. Ultimately it's her show.
3. Express disinterest, or even dismay, at your own celebrity. "They think I’m everybody’s property ... You’re like public domain. And I think that’s disgusting."
4. But don't be too snobbish about it. "I'm having fun being recognized. It's not as though I'm a rock star where people are very aggressive. I guess I'm too old to lead a really exciting life."
5. When in doubt, talk about your cats. She even impersonates her cat Pumpkin, the muse of her new Balenciaga capsule collection: "Pumpkin, she's so famous! Well, she's getting a little spoilt; she's like, 'Do we have to drive in that car? Couldn't we have a limousine?'"
6. Don't be afraid to show your human side. During her interview with the Times, Coddington gets spinach stuck in her teeth. She also complains about her weight.
7. It's cool to name-drop people from your past, but tacky to name-drop people you saw last week. Recalling her visit to the Carlyle after Hurricane Sandy, where she took a bath in Nicolas Ghesquière's hotel room, she told the Times, "There was a whole scene there: every fashion person, every wannabe. I could name a few names." And then she doesn't.
Most Viewed Stories
Celebrities Get Angry About Airline’s Leggings Ban
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner’s New Neighbors Are Justifiably Annoyed
The Blaze Has Permanently Banned Tomi Lahren
The Virgin Ignoring Texts From London
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of March 27
Huma Abedin Is Reportedly Giving Anthony Weiner Another Shot
United Airlines Gate Agent Made Teens in Leggings Cover Up
Kim Kardashian Really Wants to Have a Third Baby
Orange Is the New Black’s Samira Wiley and Lauren Morelli Had a Funfetti-Inspired Wedding
University of Texas Releases Rape-Survey Results
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.