Getting dressed up for a fancy event or a night out doesn't always have to require high heels. Take one look at Sofia Coppola or Alexa Chung, both of whom wear Marc Jacobs or Chanel with a pair of sensible kitten heels or flats. The key to keeping the look from being frumpy is to choose festive styles with metallic accents, sparkles, or sexy mesh inserts. Take Miu Miu's blush-pink patent loafers, with rhinestone-encrusted heels and grosgrain-ribbon accents that look equally cool with a cropped trouser or a short skirt. If that's too subtle, Kate Spade's glittery rainbow kitten heels are the equivalent of wearing a disco ball on your feet. And should your tastes skew toward something with a bit of an edge, Zara's ankle-strap flats are covered in an array of gold spikes, creating strong contrast against an ultrafeminine dress. On New Year's Eve, when everyone else is complaining about tired feet once the clock strikes midnight, simply pick up another glass of Champagne and continue on dancing. Click ahead for party-ready shoes that will keep you on your feet until the wee hours of the morning.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament