New York Congresswoman Nita Lowey was elected ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee yesterday, making her the highest ranking woman in the committee’s history, Politico reports. One of the most important panels, its members have gone on to become Speaker of the House — including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi — and is historically so male-dominated that even the secretaries were men. Women will also lead the opposition party in the "exclusive" Rules and House Financial Services Committees, too (New York’s Louise Slaughter and California’s Maxine Waters, respectively). This trend is not mirrored in the ruling party.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb