While the thought of switching out fall clothes for winter wardrobes feels chilly at best, you might take an example from Cape Town. Down there, in winter — which is opposite in timing from ours — the South African city’s stylish residents play with color and blazing pattern long after summer is gone. Judging from the outfits captured by our photographer, the key is layering up warm-weather staples so you’re insulated for winter, creating a random sort of mismatch that’s actually pretty charming. Tights under cut-offs, Fair Isle sweaters over dress shirts, and scarves tied around necks and heads are just a few of their tricks. Click through our slideshow for more visual lessons on creating an all-year style, regardless of weather conditions.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Favorite Shampoo Commercial
- Kate Winslet Just Had a Baby Boy
- Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Taylor Swift Uses Her Phone to Put on Makeup
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 15 Days to Go!
- The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- New York Winter Weddings Issue Is Live!
- Wish List: 3.1 Phillip Lim’s Quinn Loafer
- Daniel Radcliffe Has a Greasy New Bob
- Qantas Staff Doesn’t Want to Look Like Kerr
- Pre-Fall’s Best: Jason Wu, Rag & Bone, and More
- Sarah Jessica Parker Longs to Take the Bus
- Rodarte Sent Rihanna Boob Tassels for Christmas
- Should Women in Their Forties Model Underwear?
- 7 Things Lady Gaga’s Dreads Actually Look Like