As the days get shorter toward the end of the year, we find ourselves craving the uplifting, light-reflecting properties of the "color" white. Think snowy landscapes, polar bears, delicate lace, and the graphic contrast of old black-and-white photos. White has always had cultural cachet: It was a sacred color in the ancient world, used in ceremonies and associated with the robes and veils of goddesses; in Japan, it's the color associated with death. It's the color of milk, ghosts, and brides. So click on for our collection of winter-white images we hope will brighten up your weekend.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?
- Amanda Bynes Enrolled in Fashion-Design School
- Pregnancy Rates Falling in America
- In the Future, We Will All Dress Like Hipsters
- Uptalk Is for Everyone, at Least in California
- 10 Self-Centered Non-Gifts We Want for Christmas