It's that placid combination of blue and green that makes the spectrum of aquamarine — or when darker, teal — irresistible to the eye. It's the color of swimming pools, tropical waters, beatles, butterflies, peacocks, or the night sky at dusk. It's also a shade of universal calm and unlikely beauty that deserves attention, mostly because it doesn't necessarily scream for your eye, unlike its louder neighbors on the color wheel. When worn with resortwear, it looks stunning with black and white, or as a grounding contrast to red. When painted in a room, it turns the space into a sanctuary. So click ahead, settle in, and see all of the ways that aqua can inspire you and your world.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel