Streetwear pieces like snapback caps, graphic hoodies, and cool sneakers have seen a resurgence in the past few seasons, but they’ve had a cult following for decades. Artists like the ladies of Salt-N-Pepa and MC Lyte set the tone in the eighties by mixing oversized jewelry with slouchy varsity jackets and knee-high boots; in the nineties, Aaliyah and TLC paired sexy crop tops with track pants and high-tops. The early 2000s saw the likes of Rihanna and Ciara in outfits that were equal parts Givenchy and Supreme, and the latest to join the group of glamorous streetwear-meets-runway girls is Rita Ora. The Albanian singer, signed to Jay-Z's Roc Nation, is known to throw on sneakers, an enormous fur coat, and a backwards cap during the day, and head-to-toe Stella McCartney with holographic accessories for evening. Click ahead to recreate Ora's look and break out of the idea that sweatshirts and sneakers are gym-only attire.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- Meet the Quad-Daters: Two BFFs Seeking Same
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’