By Monday, one look around at the bedraggled fashion crowd — many of whom were still preening in open-toed shoes for the cameras, despite the rain — and it became clear that everyone was starting to feel a bit over it. The Row soothed some of that with an utterly calm and elegant scene, while Thom Browne and Marc by Marc Jacobs chose a different tactic to keep their guests happy: distraction. Much of the crew around town seemed laser-focused on the roster of male designers who showed up today, as they cut their mustaches, brooded, or — like Marc when he bowed at the end of his show — looked like they just wanted to get back to a normal schedule. Us, too. In the meantime, here's what stood out from the backstages and front rows on Monday.
1. First, we’d like to offer a very civilized, uh, shout-out to the Row for holding a calm, serene, editor-friendly show with tea included. They also rolled out a rubber carpet for the rain.
2. And speaking of nice things, Ricardo Tisci unveiled his new mustache today at the Met’s punk press conference. Too many references/sex jokes to make here.
3. Of all the street-style-friendly clothes at 3.1 Phillip Lim — there were patched jeans, for instance, as the final look — the biggest attention-getter will be the swingy, bitchy outerwear. That’s a compliment.
4. And speaking of compliments? High-fashion wind pants at Belstaff. As they walked by, the swoosh swoosh conjured up what we’ll call our “less fashionable middle-school days.” Don’t Google that.
5. And, not long after, a pair of leather pants at Theyskens’ Theory that are the most beautiful pair of JNCOs we’ve ever seen. Hey-o, middle school (sorry, we’ll crawl our way out of this nostalgia hole).
6. Also at that Theory show, there were unisex bathrooms. We learned something! Olivier likes to brush his teeth before his show. Good manners.
7. We got an e-mail from a new juice-cleanse company. Good timing. We would look up the name in our in-box, but that would involve getting up to get a candy bar, and there’s simply no time.
8. Cara Delevingne is having quite the week, having walked in tons of shows. Or maybe we just recognize her because she’s the one with really incredibly cool eyebrows. Hair envy has found a new home on her forehead (and, yes, this is still a guy writing this).
9. We caught Anna Wintour singing again.
10. Pretty hair at the Donna Karan show, right? Just don’t ask the models that question.
11. And speaking of models! Here’s your blind item of the day: Who was the imposter backstage at Vivienne Tam who almost walked in the show — hair and makeup included — until the casting guy realized she wasn’t quite right? Comments below, e-mail address on Google, office on Hudson. Find us.
12. Also, not to harp on the above, but is that what it takes to become a model these days? Gumption.
13. Thom Browne was, as predicted, quite a show. (Even if we caught one of the dead zombie models moving; beside the point.) All the gorgeous girls waltzed along slowly, carried roses, wore similar jacquards as the MObama moment, and (we think) were supposed to be zombie brides. Or Alice in Wonderland fan girls from the Antoinette Era?*
The dead model is moving. vine.co/v/bvpBp59UA9z— Kurt Soller (@kurtsoller) February 11, 2013
14. And then, at Marc by Marc Jacobs, we were distracted by clouds of cotton candy hair.
Bouncy! Nesty! Perfection. vine.co/v/bvDnjdzdiJF— stella bugbee (@stellabugbee) February 12, 2013
*Yes, we realize this doesn’t make sense timeline-wise. Calm yourself with one of those Thom Browne girls sauntering away, into another day of fashions.
Most Viewed Stories
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
From Our Partners
The Zoe Report
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.