Even as we try to keep up with Fashion Week ourselves, it's fantastically impossible to follow all the new clothes, the editor swaps, and every front-row moment that happens throughout a typical day at the shows — and we mean just one day. That's why we're introducing the Hit List, a quick and dirty compendium you can read while rolling out of bed or planning your latest look for Jason Wu's sure-to-be snowy show, whether you're watching from the front row or totally insulated in your cubicle. Below, you'll find the gossip and photographs and bits of news that kept the fashion world amused, bemused, and frustrated as the first shows (and stylish characters) started trickling into fall 2013. As with all other things in the fashion world, they'll soon be deemed totally yesterday, so amuse yourself now while they're still fresh on stylish minds, souls, and Vine feeds.
1. A few bloggers were surprisingly hung-over thanks to Prabal Gurung's Target carnival bash that unofficially kicked off fashion week. Despite the boozing, lots of jaded and well-dressed attendees were still like, "Meh, remember that time Alex Wang did the same thing in 2010?" As in both cases, everyone played games, but no one rode rides.
2. Even before Gurung got all tilt-o-whirl'd, Rachel Comey showed her collection on a blissfully calm pre-NYFW evening. The highlight: a crocodile-embossed leather blazer. 'Datchu, Melanie Griffith?
3. In the morning, the models were very jolly at Richard Chai, perhaps because the designer always mixes boys and girls in the same show (good for flirting), or because they hadn't yet found out they would have to stay in their New York model apartments indefinitely, thanks to the impending storm.
4. We ran into Lynn Yaeger, who told us she was excited for the snow. Marc Jacobs was so excited he decided to postpone his collection's show. Lesser fashion people, who were obsessed with Vine and still talking about Google glasses or whatever all day, were particularly into this text message, sent out by select New York cell carriers:
... Scary as this was, it was much scarier for those of us who didn't get it. Uggs, anyone?
5. Leigh Lezark — the Misshapes brunette — is now a blonde. And Cathy Horyn got the Lena Dunham haircut. We'd make this some sort of competition, but no enterprising wire photographer has yet shot the critic's new locks/look. Maybe they don't recognize her? Here's Leigh:
6. On the subject of face-offs, the only one that people care about thus far is between WSJ. and T. It certainly doesn't help that the former's cover is all white and says "pure elegance" while the latter one is pitch black and says "true elegance." We're not sure of the difference. We do know, however, that elegance reminds us of drag queens. And that the two new magazines also duked it out at competing parties last night. A note to those with seating charts: Please sit the teams across from each other all week — it's better for scowling (and Instagram!).
7. Coco Rocha is already winning social media.
8. Across town, Sarah Jessica Parker skinned a muppet. C is for cookie?
9. At the Hermès x Comme des Garçons party, the mannequins were covered in horsey scarves and graffiti. Beautiful, actually.
10. The Fug Girls are joining us again this season, but it seems they've lost their talent for celebrity-spotting from the front row. Either that, or BCBG couldn't find enough in the budget to pay recognizable stars to come this season. Let's play a game: Who are these two women below? (Only you can decide if identifying them means you're winning or losing.)
11. At Creatures of the Wind, an ongoing collaboration with shoe designer Tabitha Simmons meant that the heels were not only gorgeous, but also totally sparkly (another partner: Swarovski). Insert hashtag here about how women will #want these or are #coveting them or something like that. Even Kate Lanphear loves them (and, yes, she's now blogging).
12. A question from our Lincoln Center bureau: "Overly accessorized forearms: Still ripe for street-style, or more whore of Babylon?" Discuss.
13. We gotta hand it to Jeffrey and Robert, the delightfully bearded bears who design Costello Tagliapietra. Somehow, they managed to get a bunch of awesome men (with beards, kinda) to come and watch chic draped gowns come down a runway. Progress.
14. Scott Sternberg held a party at the Monkey Bar to conclude his Band of Outsiders model scavenger hunt that was roaming around the city — an idea he dreamed up so he didn't have to do another actual runway show. Turns out he's not so into runway shows for men. "Doing a runway show for women, it's so powerful — the walking and the models and the lights — but doing a runway show for guys? I don't know who really cares about that other than us," he told the Cut, referencing the royal-we fashion community, as the Cut decided that day one was kind of sort of over and the Cut needed a drink.
16. And, in a brief moment of self-congratulation, the Cut would like to point out that fashion's true diehards still keep asking us who they really are.
Most Viewed Stories
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Gigi Hadid Fought Back Against a Creepy Stranger Who Grabbed Her
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.