This season’s fashion circus freshly arrived in Milan — ready and raring for Italian tailoring … and espresso. And with that, the London scene is done, collectively enjoying foot rubs and a large relaxing cup of Earl Grey. If you haven’t kept up with all the shows, parties, awards, and Cara Delevingne’s bouts of camera-conscious madness, here’s our handy guide to London Fashion Week’s highlights, broken down day-by-day for your chronological convenience:
1. A capsule trend popping up in many of day one’s shows: strange headwear. Bora Aksu showed futuristic forehead adornments, Eudon Choi presented babushka-style headscarves and big floral headbands, and KTZ’s wild collection included accessories showgoers described, without giggling, as “horny masks.”
2. Rampant creativity on display at the Central St. Martins M.A. show — knots and rope-play, jersey tumors, and more concertina pleating than your average harmonica.
3. Also at CSM: The graduate program’s head professor, Louise Wilson, proved formidable leading front-of-house efforts. In other words, she shouted a lot.
4. Sister by Sibling turned model of the moment Cara Delevingne (more of her to come, much more) into a very sexy human tea cosy. Bonus points for the beret.
5. One poor model lost her fedora at Issa, and the fear/panic in her eyes was primal. (The hats proved to be surprisingly unbalanced, with many models left clutching them while walking.)
6. Front row query at House of Holland: “Is that a shagpile?” (Because he cares about his models so, designer Henry laid out a thick, soft beige carpet.)
7. And let’s not forget the genius martini glass embroidery. Cheers to that, with a slice of lime, please:
8. With the young designer Thomas Tait putting on one of the season’s strongest collections (not to mention a strobe-tastic light show), editors threw some shade at Rihanna, whose collection showed at the same time.
9. Though, of course RiRi’s show started an hour late, so there we go. Crisis averted. Her debut collection for high-street chain River Island featured double denim, neons, and mice. Oh, and Cara Delevingne stood on a car outside:
10. Preen’s show walked 35 stories high in London’s Heron Tower, with the label’s fall collection strong enough to best the views (and not just because it was a foggy Sunday morning). The glass elevator rides up though? A little scary.
11. Let’s discuss Lana Del Rey’s bronzer meets coffee-colored lipstick, seen front row at Mulberry. (It looked a lot darker in person.) Comments down below!
12. André Leon Talley popped across the pond for some shepherd’s pie at L’Wren Scott — as WWD notes, his first time at LFW in two decades. Another sign of the collection’s popularity: Nicole Kidman wore a look mere hours later to her latest movie’s premiere.
13. Oh, and Vivienne Westwood predicted the human race’s extinction in an interview backstage after her fall collection walked. Just a cheery note to keep things moving along, you know?
14. We previewed a number of looks from the fall Unique collection exclusively on Twitter, preshow (because we’re nice like that), including the stunning finale piece: a slouchy sequined jumpsuit worn by Jourdan Dunn.
15. In another glossy, sleek office space, Mary Katrantzou’s show started nearly 45 minutes late, with calming music played at one point to soothe the crowd.
16. In chic office-space-turned-runway No. 3 (for those keeping count), Christopher Kane showed a collection encompassing more themes and inspirations than most designers plow through in years. The audience: in a fashion rapture, or so the breathless adulation in the elevators postshow would have you believe.
17. Ever-zany Louise Gray sent models out wearing those tinfoil turkey platters cheap folks use at Thanksgiving as some sort of crotch/belly armor.
19. There was Belvedere on tap at Dazed magazine’s house ball. These dance moves, courtesy of Brooke Candy, are entirely unrelated (though we can’t say the same for all the voguing that happened later in the night):https://vine.co/v/b6KrWJeihjI
21. Arguably the week’s biggest blink-and-you’ll-miss-it spectacle (street-style folks be damned) came at Anya Hindmarch’s presentation. Brilliance right out of an OK Go video, the set saw 50,000 dominoes tumble in line — 7,559 hours of preshow prep, apparently.
22. Unconfirmed rumors* had Anna Dello Russo and Daphne Guinness fighting backstage over the layered veils at Meadham Kirchhoff — charmingly eclectic, slightly morbid French maid elegance.
*when I say unconfirmed, we mean we dreamt them.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
The Obamas Visited Malia and Sasha’s Old Swing Set at Its New Home at a D.C. Shelter
How to Live in a 150-Square-Foot Studio
Ask a Boss: How Do I Quit the Job I’ve Had Forever?
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.