Cult burger chain In-N-Out has managed to retain its indie, mom-and-pop status even though it has expanded over the past few decades to more than 200 locations and is now valued at more than a billion dollars. Similarly, its 30-year-old owner-heiress Lynsi Torres — the granddaughter of founders Harry and Esther Snyder and one of Bloomberg's secret billionaires — is a drag-racing, God-fearing relic the from burger stand's fifties Southern California beginnings.
Here's ten things we learned about the press-shy mogul from Bloomberg's piece.
1. She’s been married three times ... and is still a billionaire! That’s more than a lot of wealthy male divorcés can say. A+ prenups.
2. Her father, Harry Guy Snyder, "inherited his father's passion for drag racing," but died of prescription drug overdose. His estate included 27 cars.
3. Torres inherited the racing gene, too. She declines all interviews and is only known on the drag-racing strip. "She competes in the National Hot Rod Association’s Super Gas and Top Sportsman Division 7 categories, alternating between a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda and a 1984 Chevrolet Camaro, according to NHRA results."
4. She is married to Val Torres Jr., also a race-car driver.
5. She has no college degree and "little formal management training." Luckily, the company, which she gains full control of at 35, is structured so that she doesn’t have to do much.
6. She is or was the CFO of a religious group, Healing Hearts and Nations, that goes on missions to Africa.
7. She has beef with a former In-N-Out executive, Richard Boyd, who claimed she and her brother-in-law had conspired to remove her grandmother from the company and Boyd as a trustee. He also accused her of trying to fire him because he was not a "man of God."
8. She responded to them in a letter to the editor of the Los Angeles Times.
9. She is the mother of twins.
10. She has a $17.4 million house “in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains” with more than twice as many bathrooms as it has bedrooms (seven and sixteen).
Go read the rest of Bloomberg's story and get to work on the screenplay for your hot rod biopic.
Most Viewed Stories
‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
Portraits of Privilege: A Teen Demands Mac ’n’ Cheese
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
Amber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
Staving Off Cynicism at Comme des Garçons, McQueen, and Céline
Adriana Lima on Boxing, Brazilian Beauty Secrets
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Our Partners
You Should Be Sleeping With Your Hair In A Bun–Here’s Why
The Zoe Report
Why I Quit Shopping At Zara
Demi Lovato's 'Vanity Fair' Photo Shoot Is Totally Nude, Totally Natural, And Totally Woah
Fabulous Find of the Week: Forever 21 Trench Coat
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesInstagram Would Totally Free the Nipple If They Could
Blame Apple!Maybe Refrain from Tweeting 'Kill All White Men'
We know it's hard.The Unexpected Personal Connection Behind the DOMA Decision
In an excerpt from her new memoir, lawyer Roberta Kaplan describes how she first crossed paths with Edie Windsor and Thea Spyer.Lame U.S. Constitution Doesn’t Even Protect Sex Parties
What's the First Amendment even for, anyway?Even in Death, Grandma Will Not Stop Burning Alex Rodriguez
Never stop sassing.Chrissie Hynde Doesn’t Care If You Buy Her Book or Her Version of Rape
She's a rock star, not a spokesperson.Rihanna Will Never Settle
When it comes to men, she says, "I will wait forever if I have to ... but that’s O.K."Portraits of Privilege: A Teen Demands Mac ’n’ Cheese
It does not end well.Amber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
She walked, she twerked — and she was pretty inspiring.This IUD Ad Is Actually About Staten Island
Even your birth control doesn’t want to take the ferry.
Think again.‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
It's like whiskey dick, but with weed.How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
A helpful guide.Would You Date a Guy on a Hoverboard? A Survey
An important poll for our time.Americans Just Want to Eat in Peace — So They Hide It
We're a nation who hides our snacks.All the Ceilings Women Keep Hitting Their Heads On
There's a Rob-shaped hole on the new Cosmo cover.Queen Ronda Rousey Is the First Woman to Cover Aussie Men’s Fitness
She's flexin' down under.Astrology GIFs for the Week of October 5, 2015
This week's horoscopes.The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
Just like at bars, it's the crowd that counts.