Cult burger chain In-N-Out has managed to retain its indie, mom-and-pop status even though it has expanded over the past few decades to more than 200 locations and is now valued at more than a billion dollars. Similarly, its 30-year-old owner-heiress Lynsi Torres — the granddaughter of founders Harry and Esther Snyder and one of Bloomberg's secret billionaires — is a drag-racing, God-fearing relic the from burger stand's fifties Southern California beginnings.
Here's ten things we learned about the press-shy mogul from Bloomberg's piece.
1. She’s been married three times ... and is still a billionaire! That’s more than a lot of wealthy male divorcés can say. A+ prenups.
2. Her father, Harry Guy Snyder, "inherited his father's passion for drag racing," but died of prescription drug overdose. His estate included 27 cars.
3. Torres inherited the racing gene, too. She declines all interviews and is only known on the drag-racing strip. "She competes in the National Hot Rod Association’s Super Gas and Top Sportsman Division 7 categories, alternating between a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda and a 1984 Chevrolet Camaro, according to NHRA results."
4. She is married to Val Torres Jr., also a race-car driver.
5. She has no college degree and "little formal management training." Luckily, the company, which she gains full control of at 35, is structured so that she doesn’t have to do much.
6. She is or was the CFO of a religious group, Healing Hearts and Nations, that goes on missions to Africa.
7. She has beef with a former In-N-Out executive, Richard Boyd, who claimed she and her brother-in-law had conspired to remove her grandmother from the company and Boyd as a trustee. He also accused her of trying to fire him because he was not a "man of God."
8. She responded to them in a letter to the editor of the Los Angeles Times.
9. She is the mother of twins.
10. She has a $17.4 million house “in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains” with more than twice as many bathrooms as it has bedrooms (seven and sixteen).
Go read the rest of Bloomberg's story and get to work on the screenplay for your hot rod biopic.
Most Viewed Stories
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesAva DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.UVA Student Assaulted at Knifepoint During Orientation Weekend
But some students weren't notified until 24 hours later.