No matter how perfect the cut or sumptuous the leather, new clothing has nothing on vintage when it comes to its ambience and stories, embedded in the very seams of a piece. We went down this weekend to talk to some of New York's most adventurous shoppers who braved frigid winds to make it to the Manhattan Vintage sale at the Metropolitan Pavilion. For some people we met, shopping vintage is all about the excitement of knowing the name of a dress’s last owner. For others, it’s the story of the perfect leather jacket that comes through fate, not shopping. And sometimes the mythology of the most special piece is yet to be told, as when a vintage negligee hangs in the closet, unworn but ready for the right adventure the second it arises.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Lena Dunham and Judy Blume Talk Sixth-Grade Lies
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!