Backstage after this weekend’s Vivienne Westwood Red Label show, the designer was at the center of a mob of journalists so fierce that even Bryan Adams had to wait patiently on the sidelines to congratulate her. “Vivienne said she doesn’t want to do interviews after the show,” her PR representative told us, “but I know she will.”
And boy, did she. Known for her political activism as much as for her punk fashion, Westwood had included the Climate Revolution Charter with her show notes. It was a manifesto arguing that economic problems and climate change are inextricably linked. Or to quote it more directly: “Climate crisis and economic crisis are like serpents who eat each other’s tail.”
With that argument fresh in your mind, here are the five most strangely Westwoodian quotes the designer gave to our questions and those of other journalists, in ascending order of Westwoodian-ness.
5. “Our clothes [from Vivienne Westwood Red Label] tell stories and make people feel like characters. I think that gives people an extension to their personalities, and they start to discover things about themselves.”
4. “The sexiest people are thinkers. Nobody’s interested in somebody who’s just vain with a hole in their head, talking about the latest thing — there is no latest thing. It’s all rubbish.”
3. “You’ve got to invest in the world, you’ve got to read, you’ve got to go to art galleries, you’ve got to find out the names of plants. You’ve got to start to love the world and know about the whole genius of the human race. We’re amazing people.”
2. “The financial crisis is proof that we cannot exploit the world anymore. If we can make people understand that if they want more money, they’ve got to do it through the climate, then we will save the planet.”
1. “The main message we want to get out there is that climate change is caused by the rotten economic system. If we don’t change public opinion, we’re going to have mass extinction of the human race very, very quickly, in two or three years.”
Now excuse us while we pour a stiff drink and let that last one sink in.
Click below to see the Vivienne Westwood fall 2013 collection.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Can We Finally, Officially, Say That Amber Heard and Elon Musk Are Dating?
Why Everyone Loves the Alpha Girl
The 26-Year-Old Couch-Surfing After a Breakup
Gigi Hadid’s Family Celebrated Her Birthday by Bringing Out the Baby Pictures
When Women Pursue Sex, Even Men Don’t Get It
Will We Abandon Women’s Rights in the Name of Progressive Politics?
Fox News Racial-Discrimination Suit Alleges Black Female Employees Were Forced to Arm Wrestle
All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
Why Are All the Gays Still Obsessed With Big Little Lies?
Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian Are Taking a Well-Deserved Vacation
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.