When one thinks of patchwork, they tend to think of quaint, folksy quilts pieced together by group of kindly grandmothers. But this spring, Proenza Schouler took the ancient technique (it dates back to the Egyptians!) and gave it a modern spin, fit for their cool, downtown-girl customer. By stitching together sections of leather, the result is a graphic mix that unites texture, pattern, and color. Drawing inspiration from that idea, patchwork pieces are a new way to easily achieve that perfect clash of tone and prints without having to figure out how exactly to mix and match separates. On a warm spring day, the 3.1 Phillip Lim's T-shirt dress — which features squares of pink and yellow rosettes — is a way to wear delicate florals without being overly feminine. Or take Acne's denim-on-denim sleeveless top: It layers shades of blue for a Mondrian-like effect that would lend itself to a sleek minimal outfit when paired with cropped black trousers. And if you want a more subtle way to wear the look, Jenni Kayne's popular d'Orsay flats come in a black-on-black version that mixes lizard and embossed leather to create a contrast of finishes. Click ahead to see all 23 ways to wear the look as you plan your wardrobe for a new season.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?