When one thinks of patchwork, they tend to think of quaint, folksy quilts pieced together by group of kindly grandmothers. But this spring, Proenza Schouler took the ancient technique (it dates back to the Egyptians!) and gave it a modern spin, fit for their cool, downtown-girl customer. By stitching together sections of leather, the result is a graphic mix that unites texture, pattern, and color. Drawing inspiration from that idea, patchwork pieces are a new way to easily achieve that perfect clash of tone and prints without having to figure out how exactly to mix and match separates. On a warm spring day, the 3.1 Phillip Lim's T-shirt dress — which features squares of pink and yellow rosettes — is a way to wear delicate florals without being overly feminine. Or take Acne's denim-on-denim sleeveless top: It layers shades of blue for a Mondrian-like effect that would lend itself to a sleek minimal outfit when paired with cropped black trousers. And if you want a more subtle way to wear the look, Jenni Kayne's popular d'Orsay flats come in a black-on-black version that mixes lizard and embossed leather to create a contrast of finishes. Click ahead to see all 23 ways to wear the look as you plan your wardrobe for a new season.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Science Asks: Is Sex a Workout?
- ‘Hard-Wired’ Sex Differences Are Meaningless
- Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
- Lena Dunham and Judy Blume Talk Sixth-Grade Lies
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life