Last fall, Karlie Kloss caused quite a stir when she showed up to the Victoria's Secret fashion show — a place where long legs and long hair are celebrated in equal measure — with a short, chin-skimming crop. But a hundred or so years before there was Karlie, there was an American dancer known as Irene Castle, who spent much of her early career dancing across Europe and picking up stylish notions, eventually chopping off her long hair into what is now known as the bob. She's credited with bringing the look Stateside back in the early 1900s, and this soon became the cut to have for all the flapper girls. From then until now, there's been an epic list of ladies who have shorn their hair, from Clara Bow to Courtney Love. Click through our slideshow to see the other notable participants, including supermodels (Linda, Naomi), one Spice Girl, a pint-size Natalie Portman, and more.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives
- 70 Fancy Gifts to Pine for This Holiday Season