Raf Simons's latest collection for Dior, which walked in Paris today, was far more experimental than his previous ones. In fact, it got pretty weird. Simons has now firmly established himself at the house, and has more room to play. It's as though his elegant, restrained woman of seasons past had some wine, smoked some weed, and let her (naturally air-dried) hair down a bit. And to her we say: Happy Friday! Read on for our list of the show's highlights.
1. The set: The meandering runway was painted with blue skies and white clouds, and large silver orbs of various shapes filled the room. It was like the Chicago Bean scupture (a.k.a. Anish Kapoor's "Cloudgate") had spawned a litter of babies, or giant mercury droplets had been set loose. The cool, cerebral atmosphere was a pleasant counterpoint to Marc Jacobs's enormous yellow sun.
2. The soundtrack: "Sound illustrator" Michel Gaubert, who has worked with Simons many times before as well as with dozens of other labels (Chanel, Balenciaga, Proenza Schouler, etc.), layered the voice of a woman having various conversations with music by Norah Jones ("Come Away With Me") and Laurie Anderson ("Oh Superman"), sirens, and Rimbaud poetry. The oddest part by far came when the narrator has a dialogue with a veterinarian about her dog, who is getting "a bit fat." You can't ignore the irony of sentences like, "The first thing I would do is cut the table scraps out," which played as a model's bony collarbones poked out. Still, it made us actually sit up and listen, which is rare at fashion shows.
3. The illustrated details: Modeled on early Warhol drawings, there were shoes, faces, and flowers doodled on the dresses, bags, and in a few cases, tights. They weren't a print so much as an embellishment, so they felt more fun than cutesy.
4. The Jennifer Lawrence–friendly looks: There were so many. Below, a few shoo-ins for next season's red carpet.
5. The houndstooth: So unexpected for a surrealist-themed show, and rendered in unusual ways (cut into panels on a shiny bustier, or layered beneath a pink crochet skirt) — and yet, it made the collection feel fall-appropriate.
6. The shoes: Delicate, like always, but with an angled wedge heel that'll make them so much easier to walk in. Marion Cotillard will actually be able to wear these all night.
7. The pink details: No one toes the line between pretty and precious like Simons does.
Most Viewed Stories
Celebrities Get Angry About Airline’s Leggings Ban
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner’s New Neighbors Are Justifiably Annoyed
Ali Wong Loves Kondo-ing So Much, She Named Her Daughter After It
Bobbi Brown on Why She Really Left Her Brand and Resisted Making a Contour Palette, and Her Next Moves
The Blaze Has Permanently Banned Tomi Lahren
What Is in Sean Spicer’s Teeth?
The Virgin Ignoring Texts From London
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of March 27
The Moment Khloé Asked the Cameras to Stop Filming
What Exactly Is Going On With Donald and Melania’s Body Language?
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.