Back in January, Karl Lagerfeld announced his confusion about Michelle Obama's bangs — "frankly, the fringe was a bad idea" — and compared her to "une speakerine de LCI," or a broadcaster for French news channel La Chaîne Info (think CNN). As it turns out, Lagerfeld was a guest on LCI earlier this week and the host asked him exactly which "speakerine" the First Lady looks like: Marie-Aline Meliyi or Erika Moulet (at left and at right, respectively, ten seconds into the clip), and he picked Meliyi, adding she could be FLOTUS's sister. He continued, "I'm a great admirer of Madame Obama, I just prefer her without bangs because it doesn't cover her face. But if she wanted to do it for her fiftieth birthday [ed. note: she's 49, however, he's ... trying], then I like it." He also said he'd refrain from using the word speakerine, opting for the more respectable présentatrice or journaliste instead. What a champion of women's rights.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb