We get a thrill finding an unusual trend on a runway, only to see it reconfirmed at one collection after another, and after seeing hundreds of collections, it's time to think about which trends will grace next September's doorstop magazines. Fur may have been the biggest story of the season, but designers also dabbled in head-to-toe chromatic dressing, lowered hemlines to midi-length, and cut slits on skirts right up to the hip bone. Some trends from last fall carried over as well — coats still remain voluminous, elaborately embellished looks are still popular, and the turbulent mood of the nineties continues to be a source of inspiration. Classic patterns like plaids, leopard, and springlike florals have been ramped up to noisy levels and the truly daring can experiment with elaborate trains worn with pants, or open, bare shoulders. Click ahead to see all of these plus more, in our handy cheat sheet to the twenty biggest trends for next fall.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Miley Cyrus Debuted the Anna Wintour Bob
Mary-Kate Not Leaving the Ring Up to Olivier
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- Miley Cyrus Debuted the Anna Wintour Bob
- Astrology GIFs for the Week of December 9, 2013
- Mary-Kate Not Leaving the Ring Up to Olivier
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act