While it's clear that structured, ladylike bags are the key silhouette for the season, another similarly streamlined, but more masculine doctor-inspired style is also having a moment. Duffel bags (which are named after a Belgian town where the fabric for the original holdalls was sourced) have replaced the satchel as the of-the-moment work carryall. Not to be confused with the common gym bag, these styles are sleek — no bulky exterior pockets getting in the way — with top handle and cross-body strap options. That allows you to carry your annoying daily haul any way you want, so you'll look sophisticated while hailing a cab. In various types of leathers and in every shade and price range imaginable, you can blame Kate Moss for the omnipresence of this style. (She instantly made the Saint Laurent Classic a, well, classic in November.) Or blame us. Either way, click below to see twelve modern takes on the shape.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
The Best of Pre-Fall 2014, Continued
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Joe Zee
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!
- Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
- Tell Me Everything You Know About Wool
- FDA Rejects Female Viagra
- Oprah Says Her Kids Would Probably Hate Her
- The Best of Pre-Fall 2014, Continued
- Best Bet: Rebecca Minkoff Coin Pouch
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Joe Zee
- Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- Rooney Mara, the Goth Ice Queen
- Male Gaze: Feast Your Eyes on Frank Sinatra
- Office Stress Is Contagious
- Kim Kardashian’s ‘Jubilant,’ Post-Baby Reveal
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 14 Days to Go!
- Paltrow, Anderson Diet Show Gets ‘Major Network’