While it's clear that structured, ladylike bags are the key silhouette for the season, another similarly streamlined, but more masculine doctor-inspired style is also having a moment. Duffel bags (which are named after a Belgian town where the fabric for the original holdalls was sourced) have replaced the satchel as the of-the-moment work carryall. Not to be confused with the common gym bag, these styles are sleek — no bulky exterior pockets getting in the way — with top handle and cross-body strap options. That allows you to carry your annoying daily haul any way you want, so you'll look sophisticated while hailing a cab. In various types of leathers and in every shade and price range imaginable, you can blame Kate Moss for the omnipresence of this style. (She instantly made the Saint Laurent Classic a, well, classic in November.) Or blame us. Either way, click below to see twelve modern takes on the shape.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- Meet the Quad-Daters: Two BFFs Seeking Same
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’