Memorial Day marks the first time that most beaches are officially open for the season. While diehard surfers have been catching waves all winter long, the rest of us are looking forward to hitting the water without a full wetsuit. Whether it means a jaunt to Montauk or Malibu, a perfectly packed bag ensures you won't forget any essentials. Add a reversible bikini to give the illusion that you've packed far more than you really did. Then throw in some slouchy tees, like the extra-long ones from Aritzia, plus a few thin layers for when it gets chilly. If you don't already own your own board, skip renting those beginner foam boards in favor of an ecofriendly one that handles just as easily. Once night falls, go for a dressed-up look, including a coral Zara dress and stacked Madewell sandals, but consider this a weekend away from looking overly done — a swipe of lipstick and a large amount of sunscreen is all you really need. Click ahead to see all of these, plus more to get psyched for the first of many weekend getaways.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives
- 70 Fancy Gifts to Pine for This Holiday Season