As previously noted, women are having trouble keeping their crotches covered up at Cannes this year. That red-carpet staircase is steep, the skirt-slits are high, and apparently panties aren't a priority during the dressing process. But Jessica Chastain will not fall victim to the Cannes Stairs of Doom: Nay, she was prepared. Not only was the slit up the front of her purple Givenchy gown relatively conservative, but she also took extra precautions by wearing what appear to be matching Spanx underneath. They are literally the exact same color as her dress, leading us to wonder if Riccardo Tisci custom-dyed them for her. Wouldn't that be brilliant? Why don't designers do this for their red-carpet clients all the time, as a rule? Meanwhile, well done to Chastain for making her first red-carpet underwear-flash look respectable, even endearing.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It To 'Saturday'
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel