Why are flappers so sad? You know the look: Those old Hollywood dames posing with upturned faces and big, watery eyes. Given the amount of boozing, partying, and scandal-making that went down in the roaring twenties, they had plenty to worry about — some more than others. As The Great Gatsby prepares for its final international debuts, the Cut inspects the sad-eyed portraits and hard-knock lives of iconic Hollywood flappers. Some had nothing to be sad about! Others suffered from sex scandals, drug abuse, and the unique misfortune of having a lisp in the age of "talkies." Check out their Daisy Buchanan sorrow and rags-to-riches lives in the attached slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives