Last night, Kate Moss was photographed in a black strapless dress, heavy jewelry, and an ornate updo at a birthday party. At 5 a.m. this morning, Kate was photographed exiting the venue — in a different black strapless dress, the same jewelry, and a disheveled updo. Side-by-side comparisons reveal the following practical tips for mid-party outfit switches:
1. Maintain Your Personal Brand. The outfit you wear to a party announces the role you will play at it. Changing outfits helps you shift roles — diversifying and thus enriching the party experience — but runs the risk of implying the first outfit and role were mistakes. The best mid-party outfit switches are variations on a theme.
Kate changed into a longer dress and added a T-shirt, but stuck with her heavy jewelry, sweetheart neckline, and updo. This took her from expensive-looking sex bomb to expensive-looking cool girl — different enough to pique interest and liberate her a bit, but not so different as to suggest self-consciousness. This is the same look styled alternately for sexiness and for ease. (Or in second-wave feminist terms, for the male gaze and the female gaze.)
2. The Second Outfit Should Be More Comfortable. By 5 a.m., you'd be sick of tugging at the edges of that nip-slipping tube dress, too. And don't even get me started on pantyhose.
3. Small Changes Can Go a Long Way. Don't have an entire second outfit on hand? Consider a small change, like turning your purse around. Below at left, Kate projects maturity with a sleek black clutch. At right, a whimsical bow detail enhances the playfulness of Moss's second outfit.
4. Take Inspiration From Your Surroundings. Wild dance party? Take the freedom of the dancefloor ...
... and use it to re-style your hair.
5. Have a Message. Now that you have turned your friend's birthday party into a costumed two-act play about yourself, make sure you have something to say.
Since everyone will be drunk and forgetful by the end of the night, you may want to be obvious about it.
6. Own It. "Selfish?!" you may now be gasping. "But you just told me a mid-party outfit switch would be fun!" It's true, changing outfits mid-party is fun, but remember the price you pay: You are now the preening show-off who changed outfits in the middle of a party. Is it worth it? Are you cool enough to pull it off? Only one way to find out.
Most Viewed Stories
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.